Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Confederacy of Dunces


So I finally finished A Confederacy of Dunces. My friend Kevin first suggested this book to me about 15 years ago. I tried to start it a few times but for whatever reason I just could not get into it. I couldn't even get past the first page. That seems so strange in hindsight.

In January of this year I picked up a copy at Powell's and decided I was going to read it. I was finally able to get past the first couple of pages and wouldn't say I fell in love with it but I was certainly entertained. I had anticipated I'd read through it in a few days but after getting about halfway through I found myself reaching for other books, or not reaching for any books. Any time I picked it up I enjoyed it but I wasn't necessarily making time to read. Or rather, making time to read it. I read two other books during this time including one I plowed through in a few days--The Lost City of Z

Earlier this week I realized I had less than a hundred pages left and wanted to finish it so I made the time to read. Just this afternoon I finished it. As I was reading the last couple of pages I found myself anxiously wanting to know what would happen and not wanting the book to end. When I closed the book I felt satisfied. It feels good to have finally read this book and I look forward to discussing it with others. I wish I had discovered, and read, this book 20 years ago as I probably would have liked it more. It also probably would have read differently to me at age 22.

So what is A Confederacy of Dunces about and what did I think of the story? It was a fun read. Since this blogging thing is new I'll take the easy way out and advise you to follow the link at the top of the page to read a synopsis on the Powell's website. You can also read other's reviews. What I wanted to do was finish the book and write something about it--anything--even if it was only about the reading process.  But I must admit that while I'm finished with the book I'm not finished with Ignatius J. Reilly. I'll write more about him in the future. I owe it to him.

For the past year my reading has been falling off. I'm revisiting a headspace I was in for many years, that of liking books and the idea of reading them but not really doing it. Around the time I was finishing graduate school, something changed for me with reading that I had never experienced and reading became something I needed. I felt the same pull to reading that I felt to cycling. I've had periods where my enthusiasm for cycling has wavered but it always returns. I'm hoping that my enthusiasm for reading books is returning. I have to have to something to do while I'm recovering from brevets.

--Leaf Slayer

1 comment:

  1. Reilly's book A Confederacy of Dunces has been dutifully carried from apartment to apartment for the last 15 years. I'm glad someone I know has finally finished it. I'm afraid my copies destiny lies in the hands of that book recycler dude who sits in front of Green Apple every day.

    ReplyDelete